About our Sound Therapy Program
Sound Therapy is an auditory based training program that uses specially designed music and Bone Conduction headphones to effect change. The goal of Sound Therapy is to develop the building blocks of learning i.e. those physiological systems which play a key role in our ability to receive, process, and express information. Our iLs Sound Therapy Program utilizes a Multi-Sensory approach to what Dr. Tomatis called “The three integrators” – the auditory, visual and vestibular (balance) systems. The vestibular system controls all the muscles of the body including the eye muscle. With highly specialized gated and filtered music, we are re-training the brain to become more efficient and effective, and in the process strengthening neural connections to improve performance.
Why is it Superior to other sound therapy programs?
What makes our Integrated Listening System so unique and effective is the use of bone conduction headphones and the way we combine movement, listening and visual stimulation in each of our sessions. Bone Conduction headphones are important because it delivers low frequencies that balance the high frequencies, which can sometimes be over-stimulation for sensitive children; Bone Conduction has a calming, grounding effect on both children and adults. Bone Conduction provides unique vestibulo-cochlear stimulation that delivers results superior to non-bone conduction systems; it is, arguably, the most important aspect of any clinic-level auditory program.
The reason we combine movement, listening and visual stimulation is that these three systems are vital to our ability to learn, pay attention, process information, and coordinate movement. As these three systems are so interrelated, “exercising” them simultaneously is a holistic approach which requires the brain to become better at integrating multi-sensory information. Years of clinical evidence show clearly that simultaneous multi-sensory stimulation yields better results for a broader variety of clients than “listening therapy” alone.
Early Intervention: A Longitudinal Study of Reading and Reading Related Achievement of Students in Kindergarten Through Second Grade Enrolled in the Alpha Program
Prepared by J. Anne Calhoun, Ph. D. Educational Psychology, Department of Language, Literacy, and Sociocultural Studies, College of Education, University of New Mexico 2006
Dr. Anne Calhoun, Professor of Language, Literacy, and Socio-cultural Studies, UNM/Albuquerque, obtained data based on the results of the pre- and post-PPVT-III and Qualitative Reading Inventory Assessments administered to 32 students participating in ALPHA during 2006, compared to a control group of 32 similarly developing peers in grades K-2. The ALPHA Program combines iLs with musical, visual, verbal, spatial/kinesthetic and logical modes of learning.
After the 3-month program, statistically significant gains in vocabulary and cognitive skills were made:
- The test group gained on the average two grade levels in reading fluency and comprehension.
- Reading comprehension: The test group were able to respond correctly, on average, to 90% of the reading comprehension questions, as opposed to 25% among their control group peers.
- Reading accuracy. The test group made one-third the number of miscues in decoding in comparison to their control group peers.
- Reading fluency. Test group students read at twice the rate of their control group peers.
- Receptive vocabulary and cognitive skills: Statistically significant gains in receptive vocabulary and cognitive skills, according to a standardized measure, the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test-III
- Retelling ability: The test group could recall seven times more specific story-related information than their control group peers.
- Taken as a whole, this analysis indicates that the students in the experimental group have improved in all categories associated with reading. This improved achievement is significantly greater (more meaningful) than the improvements of the control group peers. Overall the picture presented of the students in ALPHA is one that shows immense growth in cognitive, academic, and psychological areas.